Sixty to seventy million people are affected by problems related to digestion. The digestive system is the engine that supports your body by delivering and absorbing needed nutrients.
This system and the troubles that can plague it are the focus of our gastroenterology physicians. These physicians specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders affecting the gastrointestinal organs, including the stomach, intestine, colon, liver, pancreas and gallbladder.
Our gastroenterologist provides care for a wide variety of gastrointestinal problems, including those of the:
- Stomach (ulcer disease, nausea, abdominal pain)
- Small intestine (malnutrition, celiac disease)
- Colon (rectal bleeding, diarrhea, inflammatory bowel disease)
- Liver (hepatitis, cirrhosis)
- Biliary tract (gallstones, jaundice)
- Pancreas (pancreatitis)
- Esophagus (esophageal reflux, swallowing difficulties)
In addition to diagnosis and treatment of disease, gastroenterologists also perform screening examinations to prevent diseases such as colorectal cancer, the second leading cancer-killer.
- Colonoscopy, the test of choice to screen for colon cancer and to remove colon polyps which could become malignant.
- EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy), a procedure to examine the lining of the esophagus, stomach, and the first part of the small intestine.
- ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangio- pancreatography) , the use of an endoscope and x-ray to examine the bile duct and pancreatic duct.